When it comes to your back health, the right mattress will support your whole body and give you a great night’s sleep. It is a major expense and one of the most important investments you can make in your life. A properly cleaned mattress is vital to your overall health, especially for people who suffer from allergies, have pets, or are midnight snackers.
But most people do not think about maintaining a clean mattress. Sheets and mattress toppers do not fully protect our beds from dirt, dead skin, bacteria, and more that thrive there.
7 Steps for Cleaning a Mattress
Step 1: Bedding
Strip the bed and wash the sheets, pillowcases, and blankets in hot water to get rid of dust mites (be sure to check your bedding labels for washing instructions beforehand). To keep the mattress clean, try to wash the bedding every week.
Step 2: Check for stains and smells
Carefully assess stains, smells, and other signs that indicate the areas that will need extra attention when cleaning.
Step 3: Supplies
Specific supplies are needed to properly clean a mattress, such as cold water, baking soda, towels, gentle detergent, and an enzyme cleaner. Do not use harsh products, such as those containing bleach, when cleaning a mattress to prevent damage.
Step 4: Vacuum the mattress
Vacuum the entire surface of the mattress using the upholstery tool on your vacuum cleaner, including the sides of the bed and seams, too.
Step 5: Spot clean stains
If you still see areas with stains and discoloration on the mattress, spot clean them using cold water, a cleaning solution, and clean cloths. Never over-soak a mattress or apply the cleaning solution directly onto the mattress itself.
Step 6: Deodorize with baking soda
After the stains have been removed, and the mattress is completely dried, apply a thin layer of baking soda over the entire surface of the mattress to help absorb moisture and neutralize odor. Leave the baking soda for 24 hours for best results, but if it is not possible, the baking soda should be left on the mattress for at least a few hours.
Step 7: Vacuum the mattress again
Once the baking soda has sat on the mattress for 24 hours or even a few hours, vacuum it using the upholstery attachment. Flip the mattress over and repeat these steps because the underside can still harbor dust mites, dead skin, dirt, and more.
A mattress affects the way you sleep, which in turn affects every aspect of your life. A good quality mattress is a significant investment you should want to protect. It is generally recommended that people clean their mattresses every six months to prolong their lifespan.
Of course, if you spill something, you should always clean it immediately before the stain sets in. Using a quality water-proof mattress protector or pad can reduce the need to clean your mattress as frequently.
It is also best to plan to clean your mattress first thing in the morning, which allows the baking soda to do its job and have things cleaned up by the end of the day.
5 Reasons to Deep Clean Your Mattress
- Sweat. Most people sweat when they sleep, and the moisture must go somewhere, often into the mattress. This increases the chances of fungi growing in and on your mattress.
- Bacteria. Since the average adult sweats 26 gallons a year in bed, this makes your mattress a warm, moist breeding ground for fungus and bacteria.
- Bed bugs. They hide in the seams of a mattress, sheets, and bedroom furniture. Bed bugs can hitch a ride to your home from an infested place. If you suspect that you have these, it is important to hire a professional to get rid of them because they can be hard to eradicate.
- Allergies. An unclean mattress can have a negative impact on your health, making you and your family ill. It can lead to asthma, headaches, eczema, and sneezing. But cleaning your mattress regularly can improve these health conditions.
- Dead skin. Dust mites like to eat the dead skin that falls off from our bodies. If there is a good supply of dead skin in the bed, dust mites can develop a nice group since they like to breed.
If you wake up each morning tired, stiff, and achy, or if you can’t remember when you last bought a mattress, it is time to consider purchasing a new one from Albarado’s Fine Furnishings, the best store for all things home furniture in Lafayette, LA.
If you are in the market for a new mattress, shop Albarado’s Fine Furnishings today. We carry a wide variety of mattress types from Southerland. Also, see our tips for choosing the right mattress type that won’t give you back pain.
Call us now at 337-981-4222 to speak to one of our sales team about your mattress options. A good night’s sleep is in your future with Albarado’s Fine Furnishings.