For people who love animals, trying to balance a pet-friendly home while still achieving the interior design style they desire may seem challenging. With dirty paws, drooling, scratchy claws, and more, pets and beautiful furniture do not always appear to go hand in hand. But they can.
Learning what types of furniture can endure furry friends will help you create a home you will enjoy for years to come. Consider reaching out to Albarado’s Fine Furnishings, your local home furniture store in Lafayette, LA, to help guide you through the process!
Having a pet does not mean you are doomed to a life of unsightly furniture. You can have both. Just like people, pets have their own distinct temperament that affects their behavior. Understanding your pet’s demeanor can be beneficial to select the home furniture that complements your lifestyle while still allowing your pet to have the freedom of the home.
4 Tips for purchasing pet-friendly furniture pieces
- Durable fabric. Select furniture pieces that can withstand your pet’s claws and are easy to clean so that your pet is as comfortable in the home as you are. We have compiled a list of handy tips to help you choose the best fabrics for your furniture.
- Patterns. Patterns are great at camouflaging pet hair in between vacuuming. You can also select colors that are similar to your pet’s fur to help disguise shedding.
- Area rugs. Pet accidents are inevitable and sometimes can be hard to fully remove. Therefore, stains can set in and sometimes have a lingering smell. Purchasing area rugs that can be put in the washer and dryer will make for an easier clean-up.
- Non-fabric furniture. For animals who like to jump on tables or run into things, take into consideration how easy home furniture pieces can be knocked over. Selecting four-legged pieces that are sturdier can help them to stay put.
An estimated 65% of U.S. households are pet owners. If you are an animal lover, coming home to a loyal pet companion is rewarding. Since the majority of concerns pet owners have when shopping for home furniture is regarding seating pieces such as couches, chairs, and ottomans, knowing which fabrics are strong enough to withstand pet damage is crucial.
Best pet-friendly furniture fabrics
- Leather. Genuine 100% leather (not faux or recycled) is the most durable furniture fabric if you have pets because it’s tough and too thick for an animal’s claws to puncture. It is also great for repelling pet odor since dander and smells cannot soak into the leather. Plus, cleanup is easy. Check out our blog post on leather furniture care.
- Microfiber. This is a very durable inexpensive type of fabric. The ultra-fine microfibers are woven tightly to create a strong layer of protection. In addition, it too is easy to clean.
Even though leather and microfiber are both very durable fabrics, it would be wise to check with your local furniture store to see if they offer warranties that specifically protect new furniture from pet damage. In addition, you could discuss the pros and cons of both fabrics to help you make the decision that best fits your style.
Purchasing quality furniture that will last a long time will save you money and make your house feel more like home. To keep your fur baby from attacking or damaging your home furniture, knowing what materials to stay away from is just as important as knowing which ones are best to purchase.
4 Furniture fabrics to avoid for pet owners
- Open weaves. Fabrics such as linen, cotton, and silk are especially susceptible to animal claws. These materials will not withstand having furry friends around.
- Tweed. Even though tweed can help to hide pet hair, it can also trap fine hairs between the fibers making it almost impossible to clean.
- Chenille. This durable and soft fabric seems appealing, but its tiny loops make it easy to be destroyed by your pet’s claws. Once the loops are pulled, even just a little, they cannot be fixed.
- Velvet. This soft fabric seems to attract pets and is easy to remove their fur, but not stains. Trying to get out stains will likely ruin the fabric, as will pets roughhousing on it.
Animals serve as a source of comfort and support for all ages. If you are looking to incorporate pet-friendly furniture into your home, contact us at Albarado’s Fine Furnishings today. We offer an array of premium home furniture pieces that maximize space, entertainment, and relaxation. We can help you to create an atmosphere with both you and your pet in mind.
Comfort starts and ends at Albarado’s Fine Furnishings located in Lafayette, LA.